News, Announcements and Press releases
HB 312, HB 313, SB 625, and SB 642 would create a pathway for independent practice for advanced practice nurses.
Contact your state legislator and let them know :
* Over the years there has been many negotiations between physicians and nurses that has preserved physician-led medical teams. Allowing non-physician practitioners to expand their scope of practice through legislation rather than education and training is neither a good solution nor good public policy for improving access to quality care.
* Physicians have the clinical expertise and training to exercise independent medical judgment.
* Independent practice for APNs will not increase access to care: The American Medical Association has conducted extensive geographic distribution studies in all 50 states, concluding that nurse practitioners and physicians tend to distribute in the same patterns, regardless of the states' supervisory safeguards on the practice of medicine by nurse practitioners.
Want to be informed when it is time to take action and advocate for issues important to you? Click here and sign up for our advocacy alerts.
HB 3382 seeks to remove the requirement that physicians remain physically present and available during delivery of anesthesia administered by a nurse anesthetist.
Contact your state legislator and let them know that:
* Anesthesia is unlike other care settings, and is particularly different from the primary care setting. It is a complex, high-risk care setting where complications can present quickly that require immediate medical attention to prevent serious injury or death.
* Physician anesthesiologist prevented 6.9 excess deaths per 1,000 cases in which an anesthesia or surgical complication occurred, according to an independent outcomes study published in the peer-reviewed journal Anesthesiology.
* Physician-led medicine can save patients and payers money. A review article in the New England Journal of Medicine cites when a physician anesthesiologist was involved:
1) medical consultation requests reduced by 75 percent;
2) cost of laboratory tests reduced by 59 percent; and,
3) cancellation of operations for medical reasons reduced by 88 percent.
Want to be alerted when this - and other important - legislation needs your voice? Click here to sign up to advocate with ISA.