HB 3382 seeks to remove the requirement that physicians remain physically present and available during delivery of anesthesia administered by a nurse anesthetist.
Contact your state legislator and let them know that:
* Anesthesia is unlike other care settings, and is particularly different from the primary care setting. It is a complex, high-risk care setting where complications can present quickly that require immediate medical attention to prevent serious injury or death.
* Physician anesthesiologist prevented 6.9 excess deaths per 1,000 cases in which an anesthesia or surgical complication occurred, according to an independent outcomes study published in the peer-reviewed journal Anesthesiology.
* Physician-led medicine can save patients and payers money. A review article in the New England Journal of Medicine cites when a physician anesthesiologist was involved:
1) medical consultation requests reduced by 75 percent;
2) cost of laboratory tests reduced by 59 percent; and,
3) cancellation of operations for medical reasons reduced by 88 percent.
Want to be alerted when this - and other important - legislation needs your voice? Click here to sign up to advocate with ISA.